WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) – People gathered at the Ballast Hotel for one of the signature events of the 2022 North Carolina Azalea Festival, which is being held before spring.
The 2022 North Carolina Azalea Festival Annual Chef’s Showcase gave event attendees a chance to experience a seated culinary adventure featuring a 5-course meal with fine wine pairings, light entertainment, premium items silent auction and a luxury vacation raffle.
The showcase featured five notable chefs from the region, who worked together to prepare the dishes.
North Carolina Azalea Festival president John Russ said it’s a much-loved annual event that many people are excited to see return.
“It’s been a while since we’ve had this event. This is our 4and Annual Chef’s Showcase, something we started a while ago, and it’s been a really helpful event to get everyone out there, get together, kind of kick off the festival season. Yeah, waking up this morning to snow, Alison and I, the executive director, were talking about how this was probably the first Azalea festival event to happen on a snow day, but that’s awesome d ‘to have so many people coming out and supporting us,’ said John Russ, president of the North Carolina Azalea Festival.
The chefs participating in the North Carolina Azalea Festival 2022I Vitrine des chefs are:
- Sheri Castle, host of The Key Ingredient with Sheri Castle, on PBS North Carolina
- Tiesha Lewis, 2021 North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association Pastry Chef of the Year
- Saif Rahman, the North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association’s 2021 Showdown Chef of the Year
- Nathan Sims, Executive Chef of Ballast Hotel
- Fabio Capparelli, Executive Chef of Bluewater Grill